Mindfulness for Teens
Grow more emotional resilience and choice
Raising teens in our fast paced, technology advanced, social media dominated world, makes this parenting gig a complex and sometimes challenging job. And if we look at the statistics from the most recent Youth Beyond Blue Report, for our teens navigating the complexities of being a teen in this age is leading to higher incidences of stress, anxiety and depression in young people.
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Teens (MBSR-T) was created out of 13 years of experience working with teens, by Gina Biegel, MA, LMFT, from Stressed Teens in the US. MBSR-T is an adaption of Jon Kabat-Zinn’s highly successful adult MBSR program, which is backed by over 38 years of research into its benefits for adult physical and mental health improvements.
MBSR-T is an engaging 8 Week course in living mindfully for teens, incorporating educational activities and the practice of skills for bringing mindfulness into their everyday lives. They’ll participate in group activities, meditations, yoga and more.
MBSR-T gives teens the tools to:
- Notice emotions, rather than hide or suppress them
- Learn how to respond rather than react in situations that may otherwise trigger a negative reaction
- Build emotional resilience
- Bring autonomy into situations where they normally feel powerless
- Control their actions and own their decisions
- Use social media in a mindful way
While MBSR-T is not a magic bullet for your teens stress, anxiety and worries, participation in the MBSR-T program offers the possibility for teens to experience:
- Improved emotion regulation
- Improved awareness of their own thoughts, emotions and impulses
- Helpful shifts in perception and appraisal
- Decreases in stress and levels of anxiety
- Improved overall mental and physical health and wellbeing
- Increased sense of agency, control, coherence, and power
- Insight into the sources of strength that come from within
- Decreases in negative coping skills and increases in positive coping skills
|Location||Sydney - Bondi Junction|
|Dates||Tuesdays, 15 May - 03 July|
|Time||4:30 - 6 pm|
|Register||Sydney - Register Here|
Testimonials from past participants:
"The meditation course helped me alter my mind-set and enabled me to approach stressful aspects of life with a positively calm mentality"
"The course has allowed the intensity of my anxious bouts to decrease dramatically."
"It has helped me to be kind to myself and find the happy more amongst my worries. I love finding my better self in mindfulness."