Mindfulness Based Parenting Courses
Circle of Security Program (integrated with mindfulness training)
This eight-week (27 hour) program will help you improve your relationships with your children by understanding and responding wisely to your child's difficult behaviours. It is solidly based on recent research about how kids and parents thrive. You will develop confidence that you can provide your kids with the stable, grounded start that will help them flourish, achieve and connect for the rest of their lives.
- Feel more competent and joyful as a parent
- Decrease your stress
- Find confidence to set limits age-appropriately
- Help your child get to know their feelings and how to calm down
- Understand your child's emotional world by learning to read their emotional needs
- Understand and transform your own "ancient history" with your parents so you are free to live more by your own values
- Start being bigger, stronger, wiser and kinder as a parent
Studies have shown that securely attached children are less disruptive, less aggressive and more mature, and less "needy" and more empathetic during
later stages of childhood. As adults, those who are securely attached tend to have more trusting, long-term relationships and higher self-esteem. This
course integrates mindfulness meditation training into the parenting program in a way which helps a great deal with our ability to calm down, reflect
and communicate effectively with our children.
As part of our commitment to social equity we are delighted to give discounts to Health Care card holders and others in genuine financial difficulty. To
keep the books balanced, we appreciate you paying the full fee if you can afford it!
Children are our second chance to have a great parent-child relationship.
Term 2 2017 Parenting Course Details
Our next course is starting on the 1st May 2017 at Bondi Junction, Sydney
Circle of Security Parenting Program, Sydney
Where: Loft & Earth, Level 1, 70 Bronte Rd, Bondi Junction
Teacher: Timothea Goddard
Dates: Mondays, 1st May - 19 June, 2017
Time: 6:30 - 9:00 pm
What does the Parenting Program involve?
- an individual phone interview with your teacher
- a 2.5 hour class once a week for eight weeks plus one full retreat day
- learning a user-friendly map of your child's needs based on attachment theory
- scientific rationale for this new way of relating in the family
- hands on exploration of what is happening with your kids and how to bring fresh responses into the relationship
- exploration of your own patterns of thinking, feeling and action, and how to transform them
- mindfulness training
- brief lectures and discussions
- individual feedback and support
- your commitment to daily homework practice using audio tracks and course book
Is there much mindfulness training in the course?
Yes. We have integrated the Circle of Security Program with the MBSR program, so that you will be undertaking quite a bit of mindfulness training
over the eight weeks.
The first step in being able to help our kids with their "out-of-control" feelings and behaviours is for us as parents to learn how to calm down, reflect
and make better choices in the moment. This involves learning how to bear and manage our own feelings without resorting to yelling, blaming and
unreasonable behaviour of our own. Hard but worthwhile work! The mindfulness training is a proven method for assisting with this emotional
It also opens us up to be able to be present and alive in the relationship with our children and to be genuinely curious about their experience.
Should I come with my partner?
It is a wonderful thing to both get on the same page about how best to respond to children's needs in a family. So if you can both attend together,
it can be really satisfying. And because the course also involves some reflection on our own development as a person, it can lead a sense of
seeing each other in a fresh and more compassionate light leading to more connection and intimacy as a couple.
But if this is impossible, it is not a problem. Much can be learned and gained if only one parent can attend.
Should I do the MBSR course or the parenting course?
Many parents have this question. If you are having stressful experiences with your child on a regular basis and are feeling confused and frustrated
with your behaviour or your children's behaviour, the parenting course is your best option.
We will be engaging in lots of mindfulness training and home practice which will also be relevant to work, health and relationships more generally, so
you won't be missing out on that.
Is this course suitable for parents with older kids?
Yes! Even though we will be using videos of younger children and babies to understand patterns of human attachment, the learning itself can immediately
be brought into the relationships you are having with your teenagers. Lots of harried parents of older kids have found relief through the course.