How can the mindfulness program help me with my eating patterns?
Mindfulness helps us to become aware of our body sensations, our emotions and our thoughts - all of which shape our relationship with our food. It helps us explore our eating habits and the motivations that drive them.
We learn to pay close attention to our physical hunger signals - what are they? How strong are they? Am I hungry for food or am I bored or anxious or feeling down? We train to deliberately be able to tolerate the sensations and emotions that drive reactive eating and to interrupt these urges and watch them pass. Hard but worthwhile work!
The training can also help us step back to see the whole shape of our day, to be able to choose more wisely what is nourishing to the body and mind.
Eating with awareness involves:
- tuning into your own natural physical hunger signals
- really tasting your food
- choosing foods wisely, both for satisfaction and for health
- learning to know when you’ve had enough
- cultivating some knowledge about what foods are good for your body and mind
- tolerating when things are challenging and finding ways to soothe that don't involve eating