Living with Wisdom and Compassion
An eight-week program for deepening your mindfulness journey
It has been said that wisdom and compassion are like two wings of a bird. One without the other leads us to flying around in circles! Mindfulness practice
can open us to the wise recognition that we are all in the same boat – living with uncertainty and change, and that trying to control external circumstances
or trying to manipulate our inner life, does not lead to satisfaction. Compassion is a natural response to this knowing – inherently present in everyone,
but for many reasons, often not fully cultivated.
This program will revitalise your mindfulness practice, stimulate your curiosity about your inner life and build skills and practices which can be transformative
within yourself and in relationship with others. We will be growing wisdom and nurturing compassion for oneself and others in the face of difficult
emotions and challenging living situations. We will also actively explore how to bring forth our values into caring for the world we live in – which
sorely needs our help.
(Please note: This graduate program is for people who have completed a foundational 8 week mindfulness course already.)
Where: Benledi Room, 186 Glebe Point Road, Glebe
When: 1st February - 22nd March, 2018
Time: Thursdays, 6:30 - 9:00 pm
Who should come to the program?
- Are you on a first-name basis with your self-critic?
- Do you have unrealistic expectations of yourself?
- Would you like to learn to befriend your humanness – realizing that no one is ‘perfect’?
- Are you interested in learning how to bring a kinder approach towards yourself and the way you relate to others?
- Do you feel regret about past actions and would like to develop self-forgiveness?
- Are you interested in knowing more about what drives human beings to act in the ways we do - getting more clear about what Buddhist psychology and
evolutionary biology have to offer?
- Are you interested in growing and deepening empathy — a key emotional intelligence skill and a hallmark strength for leaders?
- Do you care about the world and want to find more empowering ways of expressing your care and values?
If you’ve answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, the Living with Wisdom and Compassion course can help you make peace with the past and affect the way
you relate to yourself and others from here on.
What will be covered?
This program is practical and pragmatic as well as grounded in helpful theory. We will draw on Buddhist psychology in the cultivation of ethics and wisdom
and work actively with practices of mindfulness and compassion. We will also draw on the theoretical ground from Western traditions of psychology,
biology and systems theory including Non Violent Communication, Internal Family Systems, evolutionary biology, ethical decision-making and the transformational
work of Joanna Macey.
About the teacher
Eva has been steeped in mindfulness and compassion practices for many years. She is a psychotherapist trained in body-oriented, contemporary psychodynamic,
developmental and relational orientations and is in private practice in Sydney. She has been an MBSR teacher with Openground since 2004 and is a co-director
of the Mindfulness Training Institute – Australia-New Zealand. Eva has also had much experience in teaching mindfulness meditation as pain-management
with cancer, HIV and AIDS and has worked in many organizations offering stress and anger management. Her interest in an integrated body-mind approach
both personally and professionally has been deepened through many years of practice in insight meditation, yoga, Ortho-Bionomy, Body Mind Centering
(BMC) and dance and theatre improvisation.